My clients know how strongly I feel about the use of staging to obtain the best sales price possible. When over 90% of all buyers find their home on the internet, it’s imperative that listed home show beautifully online. That starts with fabulous photos taken in a staged home. Here are more statistics that support the importance of staging.
· Most buyers form an opinion about a home within the first 7-10 seconds of arriving. Buyers tend to stay in furnished homes for an average of 40 minutes versus a vacant property for just 5 minutes.
· 9 out of 10 people find it difficult to visualize how an unfurnished home would appear furnished.
· Over 90% of buyers look at homes they’ve found on the Internet. That means it is absolutely critical that your home makes a strong first impression online. Staging will help you do just that.
· According to US Housing and Urban Development, a staged home, on average, will sell for 17% higher than a home that is not staged.
· Homegain.com reports that sellers who spent $500 on staging recovered over 343% of the cost when they finally sold their home. Not a bad investment, if you ask me!
· The Real Estate Staging Association recently did a controlled test selling two identical homes. One was professionally staged. The other was not staged at all. In the end, the non-staged house sold in 102 days, while the staged house sold in just 45 days.
· It is estimated that only 10% of home buyers can visualize the potential of a home. That means 90% are not going to be able to look past dirt, clutter, and imperfections.
· According to the National Association of Realtors, the average staging investment is between 1% and 3% of the home’s asking price, which generates a return of 8 to 10%.
· In a 2009 Home Gain survey of over 2,000 realtors, it was discovered that home staging typically provides a 586% return on investment. According to a 2011 study by HomeGain.com, here are some top updates you can make to prepare your home for sale that will result in the greatest return on your investment:
· Clean and de-clutter: 872%
· Lighten and brighten: 572%
· Landscaping (both front and back): 473%
· Paint interior: 250%
· Update kitchen: 237%
· Update bathroom: 172%
If you’re still not convinced of the importance of staging, click here to take a look at these before and after photos of rooms that have recently been staged.